Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Romantic Gourmet Dinner Night: take one






I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I was a little unwell. I know, right now you can't tell.
Ok, enough with the bad songs.
(Awesomely bad!)
But seriously. Yesterday was the 4th and I spent the day doing absolutely everything with no kind of substance whatsoever. Because it was freaking Independence Day.
And I know I promised pictures, but I somehow lost the cord to my camera and didn't think to take any with my phone. I'm gonna be a cool kid and say a big fat epic fail to that one.
Any who, the menu reads as follows:
Appetizer: Prosciutto and Feta wrapped Asparagus (guess the recipe for that- I dare ya.)

Salad: Spinach, Watermelon, and Mint Salad with homemade vinaigrette.
The salad:10 oz baby spinach leaves; 2c cubed, seeded watermelon; 1 sm red onion; 1c chopped, toasted pecans; 1c mint leaves, finely chopped.
The dressing:1c apple cidar vinegar; 1/4c worcestershire sauce; 1/2c vegetable oil; 1T sesame seeds; 1T poppy seeds; 1/4c white sugar. Now whisk.

Main dish: Vegetable Alfredo with sauteed broccoli, asparagus, and mushrooms

Dessert: Watermelon Oat Crumble
The crumble: 2c rolled oats; 1/2c lt. brown sugar; 1/8c honey; 1tsp cinnamon; 1c chopped pecans; 6c watermelon balls
Mix all but the watermelon and bake at 300 until golden brown. Turn off oven and let cool in oven about 10-15 mins. Serve watermelon in wide mouth glasses with crumble sprinkled over it. Drizzle with honey.

This meal was delish. And pretty easy. Perfect for summer and busy families. We had a Chardonnay and played Tchaicovsky over candle light. I went to bed fat and happy. Caesar would have loved me. And the oat crumble makes a lot. Have it for cereal in the morning. Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment