Sunday, July 10, 2011

Along Came a Spider- James Patterson

Before I start, just let me take a breather. That was like walking a marathon. Slow and tiring.

Now, before you bring out the tar and feathers, I'll say this: Patterson has good writing. Obviously. If he didn't, he would have 30 million books. But come on! You DO NOT need a new chapter after every "gasp" inducing event. When your book has, seriously, 89 chapters PLUS a prologue and epilogue, that when you know you need some sort of intervention. I've seen books of his with 126 chapters. Really? Do you really need that many? That just gives the reader more incentive to put your book down. "Oh, I read 8 chapters today. I don't care if Alex Cross is on the brink of solving the crime, I read 8 chapters today!" In all actuality, 8 chapters is roughly 20 pages.

Deep breath. Sorry for ranting. Ok, I'm not. But seriously?

The story was good. I felt it was really slow going, though. (It might have been due to all the chapter breaks...) And obviously Alex Cross comes out victorious because he's the star of 14 other books. If so many god forsaken chapters doesn't bother you as much as it did me, I suggest you read it. I know I'll be stalking my library for book 2, because I'm a little OCD about reading series? Serieses? Series'? Whatev. You get the point. Catch you suckers on the flip side. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment