Saturday, July 30, 2011

First Look: Earthsea Trilogy

I've never read anything by Ursula Le Guin, but I've heard good things. Combine that with my love of the Earthsea special and you get my new reading assignment.
Earthsea was originally published as three separate books, but managed to find them as a trilogy. It's wordy, but in a good way. The writing suits the story perfectly. It sucks me into a different time and place. The words linger with an exotic power that makes me yearn to be a part of the story of Ged, our hero. Now if only I was training to become the most powerful wizard of my time. Harry Potter, meet your predecessor.

3 comments:

  1. Great stories, I read them years ago, as they came out. I think there are another two books as well, you'd have to look that up, I'm not sure. I thought they were the best thing that Le Guin ever did. Susan Cooper is worth a read, though possibly not as well written in the first two novels. You can pick that up in a collected form. Also Alan Garner may be of interest, especially The Owl Service and Red Shift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there are any other books in the Earthsea Trilogy, but I'll be sure to look because I love what I'm reading so far. And I will definitely add Cooper and Garner to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just checked Amazon, there are 5, here's a link to the search:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=earthsea&sprefix=earthsea

    The 4th one is Tehanu and the 5th The Other Wind. As i remember Le Guin was not satisfied with the role of women in earthsea and so added the toher novels a number of years alater. Sorry if I sound like an anorak-I probably am!

    ReplyDelete