Thursday, May 5, 2011

Gone by Michael Grant

What can I say other than: Oh my freaking god! Gone was amazing. A wonderfully gritty story, truly a monomyth worthy of Campbell himself, Gone takes place in a not quite post apocalyptic world where barely-teenage bullies reign supreme. We follow young Sam through much of the story as he comes to grips with the lies his mother told him and his rapidly changing body (some things weirder than puberty, as he would say). His story is the epitome of "the reluctant warrior is often the bravest" saying.

For all of you saying, "But it's just a kid's book. It can't be that good." You better check yourselves. It's because the character list is made up of children that makes this book. If it featured adults, it'd suck. Just saying.

It's a fast read, but a good read. I wanted to savor it, to roll it on my tongue as I devoured it. Yeah. It was that good.

If you don't mind shopping in the young adult section, I highly recommend it. And if you do mind, man up already! Didn't you see me write that Gone is a must read?

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that sounds awesome. I love YA novels. I can't ever keep up with all of the new ones that come out but I have a few in my stack that I'm going to tackle at the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete