Saturday, May 28, 2011

First Look- The Dress Lodger

Now, I picked this book up because of the cover. As you will learn, I almost always judge my book by its cover. Let's just say I shouldn't have.

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you'll already know why. I hate this book. Somebody didn't tell Sheri Holman about the "show don't tell" policy. This would be a good book, if it was written in 3rd person. Possibly even 1st person. But THIS BOOK IS WRITTEN IN 2nd PERSON. It's like watching a movie where only the main character is aware of the camera. And it's all, "you are seeing this," and, "now you should be feeling that." No thanks. I read because I like to create my own world. If I just wanted to be told everything, I'd watch the movie.

As much as 2nd person irks me, I'd probably try to muscle past it, because there are some interesting characters introduced in the first chapter. (That's right. I didn't make it past the second page of chapter two.) However, since Ms. Holman missed her calling as a high school script written, everything is spelled out and the book is very dense. And the language is too rigid. It shows nothing.

In short, reading The Dress Lodger is akin to reading a text book. Boring and frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment